In the past 12 months, as we’ve followed the incredible US presidential campaigns, I have periodically paused to try and ”feel” this historical time. I can truly say that November 4, 2008, ranks right up there with other historical moments that I have experienced in my lifetime. A man on the moon, even before I realized the significance of what we were watching on the neighbor’s tiny black and white TV screen. I cried during Nelson Mandela’s inauguration because I truly never believed we would see an independent South Africa in my lifetime. The fall of the Berlin Wall. Who, in the worst of the cold war, would have imagined we would freely travel behind the Iron Curtain? An African woman Nobel Prize winner–despite the odds that place the African woman at the top of the disenfranchised and disadvantaged list. And yesterday, the first African-American President of the world’s slightly-shaky only superpower. I cried again, because–like many others–I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. I can now dare hope that this will not be ”only in America,” but that we will see the same sort of unity of purpose–to live democractic ideals–in other lands that we care so deeply about. This is what history feels like: like HOPE!
Muthoni is Oxfam America's Director of Regional Programs.
Posts by Muthoni Muriu:
| by Muthoni Muriu
agriculture children cholera Climate change Coco in Haiti Copenhagen Democratic Republic of Congo drought earthquake education El Salvador Ethiopia extractive industries famine farmers flooding Floods food crisis Ghana Gulf Coast Haiti Haiti earthquake human rights hunger indigenous people Mali mining Music oil OxfamBuzzList Peru Photography Port-au-Prince poverty refugees Senegal Somalia Sudan UN US Video water West Africa food crisis women Zimbabwe
- Supporters & volunteers
- Oxfam calls on Exxon, Shell, BP and Chevron to withdraw support from oil industry lawsuit, 'get on transparency train' May 22, 2013
- Vulnerability to disaster highlighted in new report May 21, 2013
- Oxfam warns of health risks as summer approaches May 20, 2013
- Obama-Erdogan Meeting: Coordinated political action needed to address spiraling Syria crisis May 16, 2013
- Mali needs reforms and smart aid to stop its slide and help 'win the peace' May 14, 2013
- Oxfam America and Freedom from Hunger Release New Research: Community Savings Programs Reduce Hunger and Improve Household Resilience May 10, 2013
- Signs of progress following US-Russia Syria talks, but more action needed May 8, 2013
- Oxfam America awarded major Hewlett Foundation grant to fight for transparency and accountability in developing countries May 6, 2013
- Oxfam: No new arms race in the Middle East May 1, 2013
- Be a Good Kid: Honor a mom with a gift that gives back from oxfamgifts.com May 1, 2013